Climate Leadership Fellowship
Applications Now Open
About the Climate Leadership Fellowship
Climate change impact is ravaging the world. In Nigeria, severe cases of drought and desertification are ravaging parts of the north leading to conflicts from lack of water. Agricultural yields have been heavily affected causing high poverty rate. Extreme flooding, disease spread through contaminated water is reported in the south. The time is now to invest into a new generation of young leaders to lead change for climate action.
The Climate Leadership Fellowship initiated by Climate Smart Nigeria in partnership with Glow initiative for Economic Empowerment with support from Access Bank PLC is designed to provide expert training on climate change advocacy and leadership to a new crop of young Nigerian leaders to build national climate resilience. The 10-week program will welcome and empower 30 leaders with expert training to lead change for climate action, in turn, the fellows will adopt schools and teach climate change across Nigeria and implement a climate data policy in their community and on social media. All fellows will receive a climate education toolkit and a certificate of climate leadership.
Benefits of the program
Receive expert training from globally renowned climate activists
Be trained as a climate change educator
Receive a Climate Change Education toolkit to teach in secondary schools
Trained on how to implement a climate data policy
Join the climate soldier movement
Be inducted into the School of Climate Action
Gain access to free trainings and up skilling programs
Gain work experience in the area of climate leadership
Gain recommendations for fellowships or international trainings
Receive a Climate Leadership Certificate
- In a year the CLF will train 20000 students in secondary schools and mentor 200 climate educators.
- We estimate to train 140, 000 students as climate champions and 1, 400 climate educators in the next seven years.
WHAT PREVIOUS COHORT MEMBERS SAY
Permit me to say " CLF to the World"!
- This program includes two week intensive expert training on climate change for all select fellows
- All fellows who complete the intensive training will receive the climate education toolkit
- Afterwards, fellows will Adopt a School where they will teach climate change
- Fellows will implement a climate data policy in the schools and communities where they will work and on social media
- Fellows will be trained on how to teach using the provided resource
- Fellows will teach climate Change using the toolkit in select schools for a four week period
- Fellows will create climate change leadership clubs in the schools where they will work
- Fellows are encouraged to demonstrate innovation in the school, community where they will work by carrying out small climate change project to drive home their teaching including implementing the climate data policy
- Two outstanding fellows who demonstrate innovation in Adopt a school shall win NGN 50,000 each
- Top 5 fellows will win the Climate Champion Award
Participants are expected to:
- Commit 5 hours per week to the expert training and LIVE calls
- Adopt a school and complete the four-week program teaching climate change in schools
- Demonstrate innovation during the Adopt a School